Welcome to the website for the Best Practice Principles for Shareholder Voting Research Providers.
The Best Practice Principles Group (BPPG) was formed in February 2013 to promote a greater understanding of the corporate governance or ESG research and support services provided to professional investors and other capital markets participants.
Global standards for shareholder voting research
The Group and the Principles are global in outlook and membership. Some industry participants may be known as “proxy advisors” or “proxy advisers“, however, the business models of the BPP signatories is extremely varied: some make recommendations and give advice; others provide research, data and vote administration. Any organisation which supports investors in their stewardship or governance responsibilities is welcome to become a signatory and participate in the on-going development of the Principles, irrespective of domicile, coverage or business model.
To find out more, please see HERE.
The Group is governed by the active signatories to the Principles. In 2H 2019 the Group appointed an Independent Oversight Committee to provide an annual review of the Best Practice Principles and the public compliance statements of each BPP Signatory.
The 2019 Principles and oversight process
- The Principles and associated Guidance can be found HERE >>
- The 2019 Review Chair Report can be found HERE >>
- The Independent Oversight Committee Report can be found HERE >>
The updated 2019 Principles were developed within the framework of an independent, structured, transparent and public review process which referred to the:
- ESMA 2015 Follow-up Report on the Development of the Best Practice Principles for Providers of Shareholder Voting Research and Analysis (“2015 ESMA Follow-Up Report”) ;
- Requirements of the EU’s Shareholder Rights Directive II (“SRD II”); and
- Latest global stewardship codes.
The Independent Review Process also referred to the important input of regulators, investors, issuers and other stakeholders received through a Public Consultation by the BPPG (completed in December 2017), 2017 and 2019 Stakeholder Advisory Panels and a June 2019 BPPG Stakeholder Preview Event.
You must be logged in to post a comment.